Saturday, May 21, 2005

Don't think. Just live, and you'll be fine.

I've been saying for years that you should take everything the "experts" from the scientific community tell you with a grain of salt because it's only a matter of time before they reverse what they originally thought.

At one time, eggs were unhealthy and a major cause of high cholesterol, then a few years later, a couple of eggs a week was thought to be very healthy. Then, somewhere along the line, they became unhealthy again, and who knows where we are at present.

The same thing is pretty much true for EVERYTHING: wine, beer, nuts, red meat, chicken, carbohydrates. Even dark chocolate in small quantities is thought to be a cancer preventitive (but don't get too excited choc-o-holics. It's only a matter of time before that verdict is reversed).

So my personal philosophy is: Just Live! Forget what you heard in the news last week, and just live your life, treating everything in moderation. Alton Brown said it best:

"...there are no bad foods, only bad eating habits. Butter is not wrong, eating a stick of it at one sitting is; sugar is not bad, eating a cup of it a day is; carbohydrates are not evil.

So enjoy your cooking, enjoy eating (and I say savor licking the batter off those beaters), but do it responsibly and with moderation."

And this goes, not only for food, but for everything in life. Why am I blogging about this? Because I just read an article online that clinched it for me. I'm am now completely and totally convinced that nothing the "experts" tells us can be taken seriously, because it's only a matter of time before they renege.

Case in point:
Scientists Say Sunshine May Prevent Cancer
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050521/D8A7MPFG0.htmlLink
If that doesn't convince you I'm right, nothing will!

Comments welcome.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah Steven, so confused. The scientists are never wrong. It's just that the pesky things that they are studying keep changing. Just think about it like the weatherperson; one day it's sunny, the next it rains. The weatherperson always knows what will happen and we are grateful that they inform us. You should just be grateful that the scientists tell you when eggs become unhealthy, and then when they become good for you again. You just need to embrace the fact that, like the weather, the nutritional value of foods can't be held to some artificial standard of "consistency".

Anonymous said...

We love eggs

Anonymous said...

I just live the good life after I split a case of beer with 13 and dream about LousyCook.

Jess said...

Mmm...beaters. I need to bake a cake or something.

I try to ignore that stuff as much as possible. Eggs? They're good, they're cheap, I buy organic and eat a lot.

LousyCook said...

I recommend making a Tres Leches cake. Though I have never tried this myself, I have tasted them, and they they are quite good.

The recipe I have requires about 5 or 6 eggs, so that should be right in line with your "many-egg" lifestyle.

Jess said...

That sounds delightful. Can you point me towards a recipe?