Saturday, April 02, 2005

Flying (what the airlines don't want you to know)

It's 530am now. I'm up so early b/c I have a flight down to Florida in a few hours. I'm not looking forward to this flight very much -- I hate flying and airplane food sucks.

Flying is, incidentally, the most dangerous way to travel (followed by roller coasters, motorcycles, and then walking). A lot of peple don't realize this. Most people believe what the airline industry wants you to believe -- that airplanes are the "safest" way to travel. Yeah, sure. If by "safest" you mean "more dangerous than roller coasters" than yeah, totally!

Anyway, if you're reading this blog, and it's between the hours of 6am and about 1pm on Saturday, April 2nd, please pray for our flight! If you missed the window, start praying for our return flight (it's on Tuesday). Hopefully I'll be able to relax enough to actually enjoy our trip to Florida. Generally, the minute I get to my destintation, I start worrying about the return flight and can't enjoy any of the vacation.

Honestly, we should just drive to Florida -- slightly slower, but much safer.

Comments (and prayers) welcome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a pilot, and a friend of Steve, whom I know hates to fly too, I can understand your fears. To many, flying as a passenger is all about a lack of control.

Perhaps we "feel" safer piloting our own cars because it is us who are behind the wheel, in control. Don't belive me? How many times have you been a passenger and either told the driver something about the way they were driving, or reached for the imaginary brake or steering wheel, only hoping to gain control of the vehicle for a moment?

I can assure you, without a doubt, that flying, and I qualify, on a commercial airline is MUCH safer than driving your own vehicle.

I don't have the stats in front of me, but there are statistics on this stuff that reflect this. For many people, my own mother included, this notion of flying being less safe than (fill in the blank), is based on the stories we hear on the news about crashes (many of them are down to pilot error), or information that you just weren't aware of.

So, not to start anything crazy, but for anyone in the same boat, feel free to post your concerns. Maybe I can de-mystify some of the issues for you!

:)