Friday, April 08, 2005

Silky Potato and Broccoli Soup

Why "Silky" you ask? Because I make it with Soy Milk! Ok, so I didn't use the Silk brand of soy milk, but calling the soup "Soy Milk Potato and Broccoli Soup" just doesn't sounds as good.

This recipe is pretty good -- not great, but definitely worth trying. I think it could be great with a little modification, but I haven't figured out exactly what it needs yet. Suggestions are welcome.

Ingredients:
  • 1 can (14oz) of Vegetable Broth
  • 1 can of Budweiser
  • 1 Cup of water
  • 1 red onion, diced
  • 3 to 4 medium sized carrots, sliced into discs
  • 3 to 4 stalks of celery, chopped
  • 4 medium sized potatoes, cubed
  • 1 medium sized broccoli crown, chopped (chop the whole thing as finely as you can, but don't worry about a few big chunks here and there)
  • 3 cups of soy milk
  • 3 Tablespoons of margarine
  • 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
  • 1 Teaspoon of garlic powder
  • 1 Teaspoon of Onion powder
  • 2 Tablespons of flour
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
Directions:
  1. Add Vegetable both, beer, water, onions and celery to a stock pot. Bring to a boil.
  2. Add potatoes, carrots, and broccoli and continue to boil for a few minutes. Then reduce heat to medium-high.
  3. Add soy milk, margarine, olive oil.

  4. Add flour (preferrably through a sifter so it doesn't clump up), or you might consider mixing the flour into a few tablespoons of the soy milk from the previous step).
  5. Add garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
  6. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 to 60 minutes, or until desired thickness.
  7. Say a prayer.
  8. Eat and enjoy!
Note:
Soy milk should be shaken well before you use it. My soy milk was somewhat frozen, so the first two cups I poured were a little watery. If you shake the soy milk well before pouring, you may not need to add so much. Start conservatively; you can always add more if it isn't creamy enough.


I definitely think this recipe has potential, so I encourage you to give it a try. I'm sure there are plenty of other spices that could make this better, but I wanted to start basic the first time around.

Comments welcome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds good, but I wonder if it would taste different if you substituted "B to the E" for garden-variety Budweiser beer? Or maybe month-old budweiser that's been stored at 80 degrees? Just a thought?

LousyCook said...

I don't know about "B to the E." I'm not quite sure ginseng and caffeine are ideal ingrediants for a potato and broccoli soup.

But I'll try anything once!