Thursday, April 07, 2005

Some Genuine Engrish

A while back my friend Katy (or, as she is known down in Mexico, Tyka) emailed me a website called Engrish. They post pictures of foreign products that have English phrases on them, but the words are seldom spelled correctly, and the phrases almost never make any sense. It's pretty funny; I encourage you to check it out.

Anyway, when I was in Tampa the other day, we decided to eat at a Thai restaurant. My sister, being (part Thai/Fire-breathing dragon) wanted to eat her meal with chopsticks, so she asked for a pair, and the waitress was nice enough to bring a pair for each of us.

Lucky day for me! Some very excellent Engrish right on the packaging explaining exactly how one should go about using chopsticks in three easy steps.

  1. Tuk under      tnurnb and held firmly
  2. Learn how to use your chopsticks Add second chcostick hold it as you hold a pencil
  3. Hold tirst chopstick in originai position move the second one up and down Now you can pick up anything:

My personal favorite part of that Enrgish phrase is the : (colon) at the end of step three, but the random spaces between "Tuk under" and "tnurnb" are pretty funny as well.

The cool thing about the Engrish web site is that you can submit genuine Engrish phrases that you find. Maybe I'll submit my findings and see if they make the cut.

Before ending this blog entry, I'll leave you with a very wise Engrish saying:

"We used Enough Milk It. You Will Be Satisfined With The Plentiful Milk Taste." (Engrish of the Day.... April 6, 2005).

Comments welcome.

1 comment:

LousyCook said...

Yeah, I thought about that, but it was about 12:30am last night when I wrote the entry, and I was actually sitting in bed.

I'll try to take picture of it tonight and send it to Engrish.