Tuesday, April 05, 2005

See Steve Cook #2

Presanctified is on Wednesday this week -- a departure from the traditional Friday service. I think it's becuase Fr. Ted is out of town Friday, but I'm not entirely sure if that's the reason or not.

In any case, what this means for me is that I have to do my weekly pot-luck cooking on Tuesday this week, rather than on Thursday.

I decided to try a dessert this time around -- a twist actually, on a recipe I posted last week: Lenten Banana-Coconut Pie. I liked that recipe, but I opted for some different flavors for the pot-luck version, thinking that it might appeal to a wider range of people.

The recipe? Well it's a sort of Lemon/Vanilla/Coconut/Almond concoction, and I haven't yet come up with a name that I'm happy with. Maybe y'all can help me? I've posted a picture below so you can see what it looks like as well as a list of names I'm considering.


  • Lemon Cream Pie with Crushed Almonds and Toasted Coconut
  • Coconut-Lemon Dream Pie
  • Lemon-Vanilla Dream Whip Pie
  • Lemon-Vanilla Pie with Almonds and Toasted Coconut

In trying to keep consistent with last week's "Day before Presanctified" post, here are some actions photos of me hard at work on this delicious dessert:



On the right is a photo of me measuring out the soy milk for the pie filling. Notice how focused I am on the task at hand, not allowing anything to break my concentration -- not even the smoke detector going off because I burned the first batch of coconut I was toasting. You'd be surprised how bad burned coconut smells.

 



And here on the left, is me using sign language to indicate (quite clearly) that no one else is allowd in my kitchen while I'm working on one of my cullinary masterpieces. I believe this is the universal symbol that chefs from all over the world use when they don't want anyone bothering them in the kitchen.

 

I'm excited to see what everyone thinks of this pie. I haven't yet tried it myself, but I have a feeling it's going to be good -- better even than the Banana-Coconut Pie.

Tomorrow, I'll find out what everyone really thinks. If the reaction is as good as it was for the Carrot Soup, I'll be pretty darn happy.

As always, comments welcome.

5 comments:

LousyCook said...

Hey, Vanalemco Pie! I like that name.

And the best part is, it truely is (or can be) lenten. I used store bought crust, but after a little conversation with some of the ladies at Church, I found out that it is indeed possible to make a lenten crust.

Anonymous said...

The smoke alarm didn't actually go off ... you and your exaggerations in the name of a good story.

LousyCook said...

Putting honey on the keyboard won't do me much good because we only have one computer, and I use it more than Em does.

Maybe I could put honey in her hair, or in her underwear even...

Unknown said...

Didn't we warn you about burning the coconut?

LousyCook said...

Yes, yes you did warn me about burning the coconut. I'm sorry. I failed.

Bog Dweller! I love that. But you won't be bog dweller anymore once you leave Seattle.