Monday, April 11, 2005

Halushki

Tonight was my first attempt to make Halushki (cabbage, onions, and noodles). It was good, but a little bland -- definitely something missing. If any of the ladies from church read this, I'm sure they'll be able to enlighten me.

If anyone does decide to post a criticism to my recipe though, keep in mind that I didn't follow a recipe. I just guessed, so cut me some slack! Actually, it wasn't all that bad considering it was a guess.

Ingredients:
  • 1 head of cabbage, shredded
  • 3 onions, chopped
  • 6 small potatoes, cubed
  • A boat-load of margarine (it's not rocket science) + several tablespoons of vegetable oil
  • Little bit of soy milk (I'm not sure why I put this in honestly)
  • Salt, Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder (to taste)
  • 12 handfulls of egg noodles (my sized hand, uncooked)
Directions:
  1. Cook egg noodles according to package directions. Set aside.
  2. Heat oil and margarine in large pot.
  3. Add onions, cabbage, and potatoes and heat on medium heat until cabbage and potatoes are soft (I heated with the lid on for part of the time -- don't ask why, I just do things sometimes).
  4. Add a little bit of soy milk (if you think that's a good idea).
  5. Once the cabbage and potatoes are soft, add salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder (to taste).
  6. Add egg noodles and mix thoroughly.
  7. Add more pepper.
  8. Add even more pepper.
  9. You didn't add enough pepper.
  10. Say a prayer.
  11. Eat and Joy!
Definitely, definitely something missing with this recipe. It's just not like Halushki that Eva made for the Ukranian Festival. I seem to remember her using eggs and whole milk (maybe that's why soy milk found its way into my recipe). But of course, it is Lent, so those ingredients are off limits.

Also, I'm not sure that garlic powder and onion powder are called for, but my halushki was so bland, that I just felt like it needed something extra.

Comments welcome.

PS. Barbara, if you post a comment, BE NICE. Don't yell at me and tell me I did it all wrong, because I'm already well aware that this recipe isn't ideal.

No comments: